Here’s what we suggest instead of/in addition to reading Middle School, The Worst Years of My Life by James Patterson. Listen to the podcast to hear us talk about some of these titles in more depth!
- Absolutely Almost by Lisa Graff
- Big Nate: In a Class By Himself by Lincoln Peirce
- Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford
- Dear Dumb Diary, Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jim Benton
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
- Frindle by Andrew Clements
- Half a World Away by Cynthia Kadohata
- Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf by Jennifer Holm
- No Talking by Andrew Clements
- Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt
- Smile by Raina Telgemeier
- The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger
* Worst Bestsellers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
(But no pressure, we’re also happy if you get these items from your local library or independent bookstore.)